Thursday, January 22, 2015

NEAR A POUNDING STONE, I SENSE A WILDCAT WATCHING ME

Mushrooms by Stream




Where a rivulet spills down a cliff,
a pounding stone with one shallow mortar
not far from three village sites: Banished
or by choice, someone survived here alone,

no telling how long ago. A coyote
eyes me from deer brush across the stream
in a place so tranquil I’m tempted again 
to alienate my tribe: I sense

an Over Soul and see in my mind’s eye 
a golden, equal-armed cross resonating
with cosmic harmony. Pressing my face
against the earth to gaze 

at tiny mushrooms in the moss, 
I feel what it’s like to be mushrooms, 
moss, water, stone: Within
the World Soul we are linked together. 

I feel something staring at me
and see a wildcat in my mind’s eye.
Moments later I watch a mountain lion 
pounce upon a squirrel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment